Alice in Wonderland fans have already been marking the 150th anniversary for the fateful ship journey that saw the genesis of this youngsters’ tale. But how come therefore numerous see adult themes when you look at the tale, asks Sophie Robehmed.
Alice’s activities in Wonderland is, using one degree at the very least, the tale of a woman who disappears down a bunny hole up to a great place complete of bizarre adventures.
Charles Dodgson, a mathematician at Christ Church, Oxford, first told their surreal tale to your daughters of dean Henry Liddell while they rowed down the Thames.
After the boating journey, 10-year-old Alice Liddell badgered Dodgson to write it straight straight down and Alice in Wonderland – underneath the pseudonym Lewis Carroll – came to be. The heroine follows a speaking white bunny, satisfies the Queen of Hearts and plays croquet using flamingos as mallets.
Because the 1960s there’s been a trend for visitors to spot a drug that is underlying in the guide.
Alice in tradition
- Film-maker Tim Burton reprised the storyline this year movie, Alice in Wonderland, featuring Helena Bonham-Carter once the Red Queen (recreated on handbag, pictured)
- Matt Groening’s television show Futurama includes periodic character Mad Hatter Bot – frequently seen with tea-set
- Character Neo in film The Matrix told to “follow the rabbit that is white – certainly one of a wide range of allusions to Carroll’s stories
- Jefferson Airplane’s 1967 record album Surrealistic Pillow features White Rabbit – a track about smoking caterpillars, chess-men and mushrooms
- US pop music artist John Wesley’s images Alice that is falling and Dumpty in 1963 encouraged by Alice stories
The Cheshire Cat disappears making just the grin that is enigmatic. Continue reading “Is Alice in Wonderland actually about drugs?(The drug website link is just a homespun thing.)”